The main focus of the research of the Institute is on Leprosy which covers several themes such as:
- Understanding the disease better using electrophysiological, immunological, molecular and electro-microscopic tools.
- Developing better tecnologies for diagnosis using immunological, molecular and in-situ techniques.
- Viability determinations using mouse foot-pad, ATP and molecular methods.
- Studies on drug resistance using molecular methods.
- Studies on transmission using epidemiological and molecular approaches.
- Improvising Treatment regimens and surgical methods.
- Studies on drug metabolism, disposition and kinetics.